Alert readers will notice that our newsletter looks a little different, as does our website and Action Center at www.iowacatholicconference.org. It was time for a refresh!
LET CONGRESS KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT A COVID-19 RELIEF BILL
Negotiations in Washington, D.C. are underway to shape the next COVID-19 relief bill. The Catholic bishops are advocating on several aspects of the legislation, and you are encouraged to contact your members of Congress on the following provisions:
- Prioritize the poor and vulnerable, including an increase in SNAP benefits: https://votervoice.net/USCCB/Campaigns/75712/Respond
- Catholic schools: https://www.votervoice.net/USCCB/Campaigns/75795/Respond
- DACA recipients: https://justiceforimmigrants.org/category/action-alerts
- International aid: https://www.votervoice.net/USCCB/campaigns/75947/respond
Especially in times of crisis, we have an obligation to participate in the political life of our country and look out for the poor and vulnerable. Please take action today!
SUPPORT NUCLEAR NONPROLIFERATION
Aug. 6 and 9 mark the 75th anniversary of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the first, and one hopes the last, times that atomic weapons are employed in war. Catholics in the United States, and all those of good will, are asked to come together in solidarity in our personal prayers and Masses on Sunday, Aug. 9. You can urge our leaders to support nuclear nonproliferation.
NEWS IN SHORT: BALLOT REQUESTS, DEATH PENALTY, FREE COUNSELING
- The Iowa Secretary of State will be mailing absentee ballot request forms to every voter. Voting begins 29 days before Election Day (Nov. 3) so county auditors can begin mailing ballots on Oct. 5. For more information on voting, or if you need to register to vote, go to https://voterready.iowa.gov.
- The federal government has begun to execute prisoners again. Dustin Honken was the first Iowan to be executed in almost 60 years. Apparently his final words were “Hail Mary, Mother of God, pray for me.” We know all life is sacred, and every single person has dignity, even in instances of horrific crimes. If you would like to ask Attorney General Barr to stop the executions, go here: https://votervoice.net/USCCB/Campaigns/75878/Respond.
- Here in Iowa, free remote counseling is available throughout the state as we continue to suffer from the pandemic. For free confidential counseling go to CovidRecoveryIowa.org or call (844) 775-WARM.